Saturday, January 8, 2011

Resolutions, Veganism, and other challenges

I am not a vegan, but one of my roommates is. It's not my personal choice of course, but I respect her decision and commend her for sticking with it. I've also been introduced to new foods that I've always wanted to try on my own but been too 'chicken' to attempt to make. I've had spaghetti squash, homemade falafels, and seitan just to name a few. All delish and all meals vegan.

Now my new year's resolution is not to become vegan, or even vegetarian for that matter. But, as most people resolve to eat healthier, get in shape, lose weight...blah blah blah...I thought I'd do my own take on it. At least one night a week, I am going to try to have one meal that is completely vegetarian. I know that probably doesn't sound like much, but I thought I'd get more veggies in this way. I can't do the vegan thing though because I can't give up dairy. I really like my cheese...I mean hey, it's even in my name right?

So tonight I made a delicious vegetarian Mediterranean wrap and here is the recipe. (Sorry I kind of just eyeball stuff so there are no measurements).

Vegetables I used:
eggplant, zucchini, red pepper, mushrooms, red onion

Homemade pesto ingredients:
basil
romano cheese
garlic
goat cheese
pine nuts
extra virgin olive oil

Whole Wheat Tortilla Wrap

Directions:

Slice each vegetable and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar to taste. Roast in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, pulse basil, pine nuts, and garlic in a blender. Drizzle in olive oil and pulse to form paste. Add goat cheese and romano cheese. Blend together.

Spread the pesto on the tortilla wrap and top with roasted vegetables. Enjoy!

Note: Later in the week I used the pesto and leftover veggies and stirred them all in with pasta. Another successful vegetarian meal. Aren't you proud of me?! Except, now all I'm craving is a steak....this is gonna be interesting....

No comments:

Post a Comment