Friday, September 23, 2011

There's no crying in baseball...and other life lessons learned from Tom Hanks

A League of Their Own is by far, one of my favourite movies. It contains two of my great loves. Baseball and Tom Hanks. He is full of wisdom and delivers those memorable quotes like no other. Think back to Forest Gump. "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get." You can't argue with that logic.

There have always been parallels between baseball and life. There are people that make their fame from sprouting those memorable quotes dedicated to the similarities. And who are we kidding, everyone in life is looking to hit a homerun. (Get your mind out of the gutter). I'm talking about pushing those limits to the point to reach your maximum potential. Now that I've made you feel like a pervert, get your mind back in that gutter and make the other connection.

As an avid baseball player for many years, I can understand and appreciate the line "there's no crying in baseball." I hate crying. Actually, let me rephrase that...I don't hate anything, that's such a strong word. I resent crying. Maybe it has to do with growing up with two brothers and any sign of "girly" weakness would be promptly matched with a punch to the arm.

I have never liked people to see me cry. I don't even like to admit that I do it. But, let's face it. Everyone at some point in their life, will cry. And if you say you haven't, you're a liar. You were a baby once right? Gotcha there. I don't like people to see me cry because it turns my face into a red, puffy, soggy, wrenched-up mess. My whole body sobs. It's not a pretty sight. This particular display of emotion for me is best saved for long car rides all alone or in the shower. My two favourite places to shed those alligator tears. (Shh don't tell anyone).

Even when other people cry, it makes me uncomfortable. I don't know what to do. Common sense dictates to give them a hug. Which, I would be more than happy to do. Hugs I love. But, some people don't want to be hugged or let alone touched when they're crying. So you just sit there and stare at them, trying to console them, but ultimately saying all the wrong things.

There are appropriate times and places for one to let those tears fall. I'm not made of stone. Sad movies or books make me tear up. But, sports is a time when crying is out of place. It is the one place where you are praised for getting dirty and aggressive. Don't ruin that with tears.



So we can all agree. There's no crying in baseball. Or in the crowded restaurant because he won't call you back. Save it for the shower. Crybaby.



No comments:

Post a Comment