Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Judging a book by it's cover

We've all heard the saying never to judge a book by it's cover. But we all do it. We're all guilty of forming our first opinions of someone based on how they're dressed, walks, looks or even speaks. These famous first impressions are so often off the mark.

Just think back to the story of Beauty and the Beast. The Prince judged that old lady and he paid for it. Tsk tsk. We all want to make a good first impression and we all have a loosely based idea of how we are perceived. Even if our view of ourselves doesn't quite match what others see.

I'm not sure what it is about me but I've had a lot of people admit their first impressions of me and how wrong they were. Maybe I have an identity crisis I'm unaware of or really am that mysterious. I'm always amused by those comments, even if they are sometimes way off base. So I thought I'd share some with you.

1. "You look like a girl that is into black guys."

I will always remember my friend Jommy saying this to me even though it's not the first time I've heard that. Maybe it's my ghetto booty or gangsta swag. (not likely). I am in no way offended or against this, but I have to say it's not true. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem dating anyone that I hit it off with. But, I don't actively seek it out. Living in a small town community I never really had the opportunity to even try. Our options are limited to Dutch, farmer or Dutch-farmer.

2. "You look like you could be a country western singer."

This one I have to admit is not way off base. I did grow up on a farm and live in the country. But I can't help thinking number 1 and 2 are conflicting impressions. However, I do not have big hair or sparkly outfits. Maybe it's all the denim or hats I wear.

To go with that, I have been told numerous times I have some sort of accent. My roommate in first year university told me I had an accent. Up until that point in my life I was blissfully unaware that I spoke with some sort of Canadian drawl. Now I notice it changes depending on who I'm with or where I am. I never make fun of those 'fake British' accents anymore. You can't help but pick up on the lingo of present company. I like to think of it as an empathetic accent. Ever since returning home from Taiwan 2 years ago, I've been told by my American friend MJ that it's thickened. So apparently since returning to the farm, the 'ehs' have increased and my 'hick accent' has picked up.

3. "You're just so innocent"

I'm not sure what it is about me that people think is so naive or innocent but it seems to be a popular opinion of me. I must have that doe-eyed look down pat.
If they only knew.

So I guess my point is that you never truly know a person until you take time to get to know them and hear what they have to say. Even if it is with an accent.

No comments:

Post a Comment