Monday, February 27, 2012

It's February, so it doesn't count

January is long gone and February is almost through. Which is why I've decided to take this time to share my goals for the year. These are not resolutions. In the past I have made grand proclamations or promises that I had no intentions of sticking to. Making plans and schemes I happen to be the queen of. Following through with these, not so much. The inner rebel inside of me doesn't want to be told what to do, even if it's from myself. Instead of setting resolutions I have no plans to follow through with, it's probably more realistic and productive to dedicate this year to things I've always wanted to do.

I have nothing against resolutions of course. I think they're a great way to start with self improvement. We all have things we need to work on. (This is probably why the gym in January is a mad house and the parking lot is full. But come February and March, the spots are back). I am constantly late. But I have no plans to change that. How would I go about this really? Who is going to be accountable for my tardiness? If we leave it to me...we're back where we started. I already admitted I'm the problem. I'm sorry family and friends but this may just be one thing you have to love and hate about me. Sometimes there's just to much emphasis put on things we need to change about ourselves. People will never be perfect. So why not try to enjoy your imperfections as they are and make the best with what you've got. So, my goal for 2012 is to cross things off my bucket list.

The bucket list. We all have one. Whether they're officially written down or not. I've been lucky to be able to cross off dreams I've had for a long time (and ones I didn't even realize I had) within the past two years or so. The two goals that I really want to cross off this year are to run a 5k race and learn to play the guitar. The race is a fairly new spot on my list but I can do it on a treadmill. I just need to learn to run outside. Who realized there was a difference? So hopefully by the summer I can enter in a couple races and cross that bad boy from my list. For the guitar playing, I have no idea how I'm going to go about doing that, but I'm excited about it! I love music and would love to be able to just whip out a guitar by a campfire and start a singalong. And I am positive my family is SUPER excited to hear my practice. I took piano lessons one year and still have Ode to Joy memorized. I'm pretty sure I have a little musical inclination.

So there you have it. My 2012 goals for the year. Simple? Yes. But hopefully by writing it and 'announcing' it I will be held accountable. And, if for some reason I don't get to these goals...the world is suppose to end in 2012 anyway right?

No comments:

Post a Comment