Friday, June 22, 2012

The who, what, where, when and why of it all

I've been asked quite a few times why I blog. Honestly, I'm not sure there's an easy answer to that question.

I'm not doing it for money (I wish!).
I don't have a specific niche like a fitness blog or healthy recipes or even educational ideas.
I definitely don't have deluded dreams of becoming a professional writer. I know I'm not a gifted writer. Many bloggers are. Just not me.
It is simply a personal blog. A little glimpse into my life. I truly don't think the story of my life is so much better than anyone else. Trust me, my life is probably boring in comparison to most people.

It started because when Menace and I moved to Taiwan to teach, it was how we kept our friends and family updated about what we were doing and that we were in fact, still alive. But when I came back home and went to teacher's college, I realized how much I missed it. Which is why I started this one. There's something therapeutic about jotting down some words and sending it out into cyberspace. 

I've always enjoyed writing as an outlet and when I was growing up kept a journal/diary. What girl didn't? I still have those old diaries and sometimes when I'm looking for a good laugh or have an overcoming feeling of nostalgia, I like to look back and read those stories that seem so meaningless now. I'm pretty sure in elementary school I had a crush on everyone and reading Judy Blume books caused me to overthink everything.Things like why weren't my boobs growing faster (I still wonder when they'll come in fully), and when would I have my first kiss.

I even have a book of things I would write. Things like poems and (when I thought I would be a singer when I grew up) songs. I keep it hidden and tucked away. I never shared these with anyone. It was embarrassing to me - as a very shy little girl - to have people read something I thought so personal. But I've kept it up over the years. I still won't let anyone read it. Stay out of my room please.

Everyone has a story. Everyone has a voice and something to say. I guess the reason I blog is I like to think that some little anecdote I've shared makes someone out there smile or nod and say "I know exactly what you mean!" It makes us all feel a little less alone. A little less weird. Although I still get extremely embarrassed and shy when friends of mine come up to me and say they love reading my blog. It is so surprising sometimes at who is reading my little blog. Although, it's good to know there are people out there actually reading it and enjoying it.So thanks and read on my friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment